Sunday 8 April 2012

INDUSTRY TALK: "Beez In the Trap" Nicki Minaj ft 2 Chainz



Sigh. I was sitting here wondering what would be the topic of my next blog post and then I came across this track and video from Nicki Minaj ft 2 Chainz called "Beez in the Trap". Admittedly, when I first saw the title I was actually hoping it was an ode to bee-keepers (LMFAO!) but alas, it's just Nicki being...well Nicki, or maybe I should say the Nicki she recently morphed into.

Ok so I understand where she's coming from. The song is more for those who can relate as it celebrates, promotes and sends respect to a whole lot of cities and states in the US, particular those in the South which are associated with the term 'Trap'. Of course, the feature from the man of the moment 2 Chainz clearly helps the credibility of the song. However, nothing about the song says 'real' or 'original' to me. I can just imagine Nicki's management sitting around in the studio deciding that in order for her remain relevant and try to comeback from that horrible mistake (i.e. Stupid Hoe) she HAS to do a trap song, since trap music is king in hip hop right now.

Unfortunately the song's only saving grace, apart from the street laced flow of 2 Chainz, is the video, and that's only because Nicki's body is smoking hot and she's pretty much half naked through all of it. Oh and did I mention there are a few hints of quasi-lesbian behaviour with similarly hot women? In addition, as a producer I have to comment on the beat. Even though it has trap earmarks all over it, it's not just a carbon copy of a Lex Luger or Drumma Boy beat. This is a lesson for unsigned acts looking to buy beats online: look for an original sound that still has elements which make it current.

Ok so to sum it up: New Nicki Minaj track; following the 'trap' band wagon (face it, she's no T.I....hell she ain't even Flocka); Nice beat; decent bars from 2 Chainz; Nicki showing some skin (damn she would get it!!!). Check the video out for yourself as this is just my humble opinion. It still makes for a cool listen if you happen to be in that mood for some trap influenced vibes. If you are an indie artist and this track inspires you (either to do something similar or try to blow it out the water) check me out at my site and listen to some of the beats we have online. You may just find the perfect one to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment