Tuesday 10 April 2012

INDUSTRY TALK: For All the WU TANG Heads!!



Hip Hop as a genre owes a lot of its development to these guys. The Wu Tang Clan exploded in the early to mid 90s and redefined hip hop as a genre and the way hip hop artists made deals with labels. I was totally inspired and enthralled by the Wu Tang juggernaut in those days. It influenced my writing (yea I write rhymes) and my beatmaking. To this day, RZA's work is an indelible part of my foundation and of the foundations of other producers today who make beats for artists to buy online or in their hometowns.

Check out the video above. It had me literally glued for the whole performance. The impact of the Clan is undoubted when a whole generation, regardless of race or ethnicity, can sing along word for word with all their songs. This put me in the Delorean and sent me back to when Hip Hop had an infectious energy and your worries seemed small if you just happened to get your hands on the newest releases. I mean come on I'm sure we have all felt that bubbling anticipation when removing the plastic from that new tape (remember those?) or CD.

I continue to love the older Hip Hop because it always inspires me to write rhymes and make rap beats. If any of you out there feel inspired to write rhymes, whether by the stars of today such as Odd Future, Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole or by legends like Wu Tang, Blackstar and A Tribe Called Quest, one thing you have in your favour now is how easy it is to  buy hot rap beats online, make a great song and start promoting via social media (technology huh?). Never waste a single opportunity. Make those who paved the way proud by carrying on the legacy of real hip hop. Do it how it should be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment